Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Going-to-the-Sun Road Finally Opens

The Going-to-the-Sun road, which is the marquee for Glacier National Park, finally opened today - the latest opening ever.  We decided to go join the crowds and visit today to find out what the most snow pack for years looks like in Glacier.  And it was spectacular.

On the way, you pass through the Blackfeet Nation....











Like I said.  It was spectacular.....



























And there was just a little bit of snow.....

























The Weeping Wall was bawling....













And maybe the weirdest thing that's happened all summer:  with the many thousands of cars and people in the park today, we ran into Clay again - not once, but twice.  Our initial encounter was as he was headed east on Going-to-the-Sun and we were headed west, all stopped up in the chronic road construction.  Later, we turned around and headed back across going east, and we ran into him in the Logan Pass parking lot.  The Freedom Tour blog(http://murraycg.wordpress.com/) describes the mood of Glacier NP much better than we ever could.  Clay may soon think he's being stalked.

But the best part of the whole day - Beth was happy!!!!!!!












MY TURN:
I think I'll just add a few hiking pictures to make this complete. And Harry just clarified to me that I AM happy most of the time...

 We started our hike at my favorite waterfall, Baring Falls

 and hiked around St. Mary Lake.

 We hiked through a sea of wild penstamon

 lupine

 mariposa lily

 scarlet paintbrush and pink pussytoes!

 blue larkspur and actinella

 queen's cup beadlilly

 We stopped together at St. Mary Falls, quite spectacular

and I hiked on to Virginia Falls before turning around for the return trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment