Friday, July 23, 2010
Boone & Crockett and Hiking into the Bob
Yesterday Ellen and I visited the Boone & Crockett ranch, where the director, Lisa gave us a tour. I had planned to participate in a 2 week educational experience with them two years ago, but it was cancelled that summer. Hopefully I will be able to take a one week class with them next year. Boone & Crockett is located on the front, 10 miles west of Depuyer. Directly behind the education building below is a pass that leads into the Bob Marshall Wilderness, a protected area accessible only by foot or on horseback.
Ellen and I couldn't believe that they told us it would take 45 minutes to drive 3 miles to the trailhead. The roads within the ranch were in great condition.
However, it soon became apparent (and Lisa had warned us) that we weren't on the ranch anymore. We headed through barbed-wire gates , deep and muddy ruts, and narrow paths as we crept toward the trailhead. Their 45 minutes estimation WAS wrong. It took us an hour...
Eventually we reached the end of the 2-track (not a road at all) and found the trailhead exactly as Lisa had described. The hike to the Bob Marshall entrance sign wasn't difficult, certainly the easiest hike into the Bob.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment