Friday, July 2, 2010
And the Mother of All Hailstorms...
This morning we got up to bright sun and blue skies. That changed almost immediately, and at 8:30am we had a sudden, violent hailstorm. Hugh had been outside when the rain started, and as we discussed the reason the raindrops were so huge (repeated uplift in the clouds), it occurred to us simultaneously: HAIL! As I spoke the word, it started. The hailstorm had dime, nickel, and quarter-sized hail! (Hugh points out this was a topic of discussion at the hardware store later.)

Although it could be worse (I could be a farmer or family that depends on my crops), it was devastating to my plants. It totally shredded my hostas, tuberous begonias, black-eyed Susan vines (all vines, no leaves), petunias, etc. However, they will recover; perhaps just not in time for the 4th of July. Most of my vegetables made it, thanks to the fence that partially shelters them. I wanted to go cover them up as the hail started, but the size of the hail convinced me pretty fast that it was a stupid idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment