Two evenings ago, as we sat on our front porch visiting with friends after returning from the Beartooth Highway, a young man approached us, looking for help with his back pack. His name is Cirrus Wood, and he is walking across the country. He left California last year, walked to Seattle and then on to Vancouver and British Columbia where he spent the winter working. Back on the road again, he is on his way to Acadia National Park in Maine, by way of Yellowstone and Wyoming (that's as far as he got in describing his plans). He was so personable, tall and very thin (wonder why...) and seemed to be content with his endeavor. His problem was that the strap on his pack was tearing, and he was worried that he wouldn't make it to Great Falls to get it fixed. We brainstormed ideas with him, suggested people and places to inquire in the morning, and he headed for the Choteau Park to spend the night.
Yesterday morning he stopped by again to tell us that he had gotten his pack fixed! That morning he walked to Cathy Chapman's place, knocked on her door (and woke her up) and traded her some help for the repair of his pack. She's a good person. (She made my tooled leather wallet.) We talked for a while about his journey. He has no phone but carries an iPod that he uses for email. His pack was not large at all, so I can't imagine what he carries with him. He walks about 25 miles a day and uses train tracks when possible to get away from crazy Montana drivers. (they may drive well, but they drive FAST) He tries to find a place to spend the night where he is somewhat out of sight, something that must be difficult as he walks the barren plains of Montana. Last night he expected to walk only half-way to Great Falls, spending the night along the way. I just cannot imagine it, and have spent a lot of time thinking about him (and doing a little bit of worrying, but Laurie tells me I'm foolish, she's done such crazy things...) After he left it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't even offered him a glass of water. I made two wraps and threw in some scones and anything else I thought he could carry and chased him down in my car to give it to him. He was very grateful and said he'd send me a postcard from Yellowstone or Wyoming. I'll be very happy to get one to see that he's still alive.
No comments:
Post a Comment