We've closed it down. We got up this morning and packed and pondered how we brought everything out in 3 small suitcases. I brought out lots of yarn and fabric, and am leaving behind a sweater and a yoga bag that were made from them. That should leave more room in the suitcase, right? Anyway, it's done. I still have to figure out how to squeeze in the dark chocolate cookies that Jill sells, and how to distribute the bounty of my baking marathon to use up all the fruit and rhubarb I had collected. (That would be: rhubarb bread, rhubarb vinaigrette, rhubarb cookies, blueberry scones, and a giant rhubarb/blueberry/apricot pie!) However, I didn't waste a thing left in my fridge.
As we are staying later than we've ever stayed before, we were here (at last) to see the Shakespeare in the Park performance of Much Ado About Nothing on Friday night.
It was held outside at the Skyline Lodge, and there was a huge community gathering with their chairs and sandwiches. The actors were wonderful (Laurie provided housing for the main character after the performance) and the weather was perfect.The next morning Hobbs and his son, Gus, came by to say goodby.Wendy and Calvin picked me up that afternoon to hike with them to Our Lake. I've been hike-starved this summer, so I gladly gave up about 8 hours of yesterday to enjoy the experience.
Here, Calvin plays the role of Merriweather Lewis, looking for a way over the mountains surrounding us.
Wendy and I got excited over lots of flowers. As this was a late hike for me, I saw flowers I've never seen before. I have read about this flower, "Little Pink Elephants," but I've never seen them until yesterday. By the way, you find them in "herds." They are actually tiny little things, found only in moist alpine settings (Our Lake). I might have missed them if not for Wendy.
When we got back, Harry and I cooked the last of our garden harvest. I planted carrots and beets when we were here over spring break, and we've watched them grow all summer. Dave stopped by with broccoli and zucchini from his garden, and we added that to our left-overs for a great stir-fry.
Not only a great way to end a hike, but a great way to end our summer here.
On to a year of many new things!
No comments:
Post a Comment