Sunday, August 8, 2010

The End of Gardening...

Remarkably, from my 16 feet by 18 inch garden I harvested:

  • Three meals of peas (the last on August 1st)

  • One meal of beets plus another meal of the beet greens (Savory Beet Greens Pasta, recipe to come if it tastes OK)

  • 15 carrots

  • 3+ meals of Swiss chard

  • 5+ meals of kale

  • 3+ meals of spinach (including a new crop harvest today)

  • Many meals of two varieties of leaf lettuce, including a couple of gallons for Laurie and 2 gallons which I gave to Jill to sell.




My two square foot gardens on the other side of the house have fared less well. First, they languished all summer due to the cold nights, then, when they decided to grow and were ready to harvest this weekend, the deer found them (they were just waiting, like me) and devoured most of the lettuce and even my basil and cress. I hate deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment